So today brings some awesome news! There is a new bill in food safety! After seeing Food INC. I am excited to see that “voting with your fork” is actually working!!! I am a bit skeptical of the bill due to the fact that Monsanto basically owns the FDA, but I am hopeful and will be watching the Take Part Blog for reactions. The next step is to separate the Food from the Drugs in FDA. Man made Chemical combinations + Food are NOT a natural combination!
On a lighter note…I made an awesome smoothie last night! After the potluck lunch I wasn’t feeling a big meal. I settled on a smoothie and some Kashi crackers.
Sorry still no pics 😦
Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie:
- 1/4 cup Nasoya dark chocolate silken tofu
- 1/2 cup frozen organic raspberries
- 2 tbs oats
- 2tbs ground flax
- large spoon Greek plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond breeze
- 4 ct ice cubes
THIS SMOOTHIE WAS AMAZING!
- Katherine and Liz – a good 3 miler yesterday on a new route and kept their target time. They are on their own this weekend.
- Jen – Study, Study, Study – good luck Today!!!!!!!! She will be getting back to the grind on Sat, she promised me!
- ME – I did 4 miles flat and strength yesterday. I have taken a break from Body Pump because I seem to be hurting my patella with all those lunges and squats. I decided to stick with the lifting machine for my legs to prevent and bad extensions. I did legs presses, weighted calf raises, hammie pull downs and quad thrusts (I did a few extra of these on my right quad, which is weaker for some reason).
MOMA BEANS is coming to visit for the weekend! So excited! We are doing sooooo many fun things! One being the Orioles Red Sox game on Sat. night! 🙂
Do you know what it is??? I made it today for work potluck and no one knew what it was…honestly I am not that surprised. People seem to gravitate towards to store bought cakes around here. Anyway here is the recipe that I used from Real Simple, but I took out the cucumbers and added feta. I also used a small purple onion instead of scallions. I may have also added extra lemon because I looooove lemon. Mine had a little more bulgur then the picture, but I think next time I will reduce the amount of bulgur to parsley from 1/1 to .5/1.
- Katherine and Liz had off yesterday and did some yoga at home.
- Jen is study, study, study!!!!
- I ran 4 mile with hills. My HR did not get very high, and I ran pretty slow. Given the crazy wind that was blowing in a T-storm and the humidity I am just glad I got through it. – I am hoping today’s run will be at bit easier.
I may try a test run on the computer tonight…I am scared to even turn it on!
Happy Thursday All!
I got my new computer last night!!!! Whoohoo, step one to normalcy is complete! Now I just have to wait for Nick to find his Norton, and my mom to get here Friday with my software!
In other news…USA today has an article out about clean beaches! Maryland’s Ocean City, Beach 6 got 5 stars! It is only 1/14 to receive this honor! I am glad to see that the money I am trying to get out there for stormwater projects is actually working 🙂
There are a few things I dislike about this beach…two being the high rise hotels that line the shores and the very un-natural sea wall that lines the boardwalk. Ok so I am a bit of a beach snob, and why shouldn’t I be??? I got my Masters in coastal geophysics!!!
- Katherine and Liz ran a crazy hilly 5miles this weekend in Maine ❤
- Jen is running crazy milage as always but is taking the GRE’s this weekend and will have to break from training…go Jen go!
- Me – I did my second yoga class every yesterday – my first was 10x better, but this comes with my gym membership and I am really bad about stretching! Monday marked the official 12 week training program from Hal Higdon. I changed this up just a bit to give me rest on Sat. and some speed/hill work during the week. I will post MY plan once I have a fully functioning computer again.
OK that is it for today’s post…I know how boring text only can be! Here is a random pic to end on! Do you know where this man mad beach is?? Hint, they have to remove the palm trees every year due to snow!
Some foods I have come to enjoy in the movement to eating real food and stepping away from mass production.
*Happy Meat company started in 1987. Sponsor for Food INC.
* Dairy Company that is thinking outside of the box. They were also a sponsor of Food INC.
* Amazingly delicious organic cereals – On sale at Giant this week!!!
In Other News…I bought a new vegan cookbook (pause for surprise). I am not a vegan, but have seen some pretty cool stuff come out from it all over blog world. I am planning on using them as a base and will most likely be un-veganizing most recipes!
I also made chocolate tofu cupcakes using dark chocolate silken tofu and raspberry jam! I really wish I had pics of these because they were delicious, AND Nick approved. Here is the recipe I used, but measurements maybe a bit off because I added some extra tofu and milk to make a better batter texture. Makes 6-8 cupcakes.
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup WW flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ~3/4 cup chocolate silken tofu
- 3/4 skim milk
- 6 tsp raspberry jam
1) sift dry ingredients together. 2) mix wet. 3) add wet to try and mix (do not over mix). 4) (Do this step one at a time) put a small amount of batter in the bottom of the muffin tin, add tsp of jam, cover the jam with more batter. It is able 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 for the batter, jam, batter. 5) Bake 20min @350.
Unfortunately I had a disaster with my home PC this weekend…In short it is fried due to exposure to water. I have researched finding a replacement and it looks like I will be able to afford a new machine this week. I am hoping to return to blog land by this coming weekend.
In the meantime I am planning on posting once a day on an environmental concern of mine, book, 1/2 marathon training issues. etc. There is always a topic to be written about, but sorry no pics can be uploaded to my work desktop. 😦
I hope to return this evening for an environmental post, but it may come sooner.
For those of you that read, thank you for your understanding.
It’s Finally Friday!!! Too bad it is raining… No plans for outdoor activity tonight so I am cool with it, and Maryland needs the rain. Plus I don’t have to water my plants!
One would think a bowl of oats would be on the menu for a grey day but I actually wanted french toast…on second thought I remembered that it was going to take too much effort and I should wait til tomorrow morning when I have more time to enjoy it.
From french toast to a bowl of mixins.
- 1/4 cup plain Horizon yogurt
- 2 tbs Nature’s Path pumpkin flax granola
- handful TJ’s fruit and fiber medley
- 3 tbs Uncle Sam
- handful PB puffins
- 1/2 naner
- 1 tbs flax
Where’s the cereal?
There we go! It was a party in my mouth.
8 hours of work until the weekend! FINALLY! Happy Friday All!
p.s. my arms are so sore from body pump!
Camera was forgotten today 😦 and lunch was so delicious! I had a flat out wrap with sabra pinenut hummus, spinach, leftover asian veggies from last night, one large bunny carrot, kashi sesame honey crackers and a black bean brownie! Yes those guys are still kicking around in the freezer.
BIGGER NEWS THEN THE FOOD TODAY IS THAT, IN 3 CITIES 3 LADIES WILL BE TRAINING FOR 1/2 MARATHONS TOGETHER. My friend Katherine (and lovely LIZ) will be training in Boston for the Plymouth 1/2 and Jen will be training in DC for the Baltimore 1/2. I will be training in Baltimore for the Baltimore 1/2.
This is Jen climbing into the tailgate at homecoming, most likely for some cranberry dip. We are real people, and she has actually the most running experience!
This is Katherine and I in Maine summer 2006.
So I never thought I would be one to run a half marathon, but part of the course goes almost right by my house and I need a goal. The Baltimore race in Oct. 8th, Katherine will be running in Sept. I have created a training plan and am super excited. Any advice is greatly appreciated! My training doesn’t start for another 2 weeks so I am going to stick to my normal workouts until then but try to do more outdoor running.
SO for today – 3mile outdoor run followed by Body Pump Action!!!!
Dinner was another new squash.
Anyone know the name of this one? Almost a round zucchini. I cut this little sucker up into rounds and coated one side in cooked quinoa, curry, cloves, parsley, thyme, and oregano. I baked it for 20min. Along with some sweet potato fries with goat cheese dip! I love sweet potatoes in goat cheese! I just added a some skim milk to make it creamy.
If this wasn’t enough, Nick and I spilt a large salad with FM lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes from the garden and purple peppers.
my sweet end was a vanilla meringue.
Off to hangout with Nick and dream about running 13.1 miles! Ah so far, so crazy!
Tomorrow is Friday! yayay!!!