Dough GirlPosted: April 19, 2010
Hello, Hello! We just had successful Meatless Monday around these parts and I am counting it as my environmental contribution for the day. Meat products contribute the most harm to the environment from the distance the cows or their meat have to travel to the chemicals used to grow the corn they eat. Going meatless for a day reduces your impact on the earth AND usually can save YOU as the consumer money! Who doesn’t want to save a little green???
Before we get to the dinner meal we have to get through the lunch time hour.
Leftover polenta with spinach and Seeds of Change marinara.
What is that white blob to the side you say?
I had an apple with homemade cinnamon vanilla almond butter for snack, but I was so wrapped up in a convo that I forgot to take a picture.
When I got home I started on making dinner by creating this… Honey Whole Wheat Dough! I made dough from scratch in my food processor!!!!!! I did have a mini disaster with the yeast and the CO2 being a little aggressive. Note : allow yeast to breath with you mix it with warm water and do not put the top on the food processor or you will lose all of the water. Anyway I got it sorted out.
In the fp went…
- 3/4 cup warm water – there could have been more due to my explosion and the addition of h2o after.
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 packet yeast
- ~1 cup WW flour
- ~1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp salt
- mix warm water and yeast together and let sit for 10min to it comes alive mwah hahahaha
- Add other ingredients and use dough blade to combine until you have a ball on the side of your fp. If your dough is still wet add a little more flour or that is at least what I did.
- Knead for a bit on parchment paper.
- place dough on parchment into a bowl and cover with a dish towel – leave out for one hour or until doubled in size
- Pound down and knead a bit more.
- Flip out of bowl still on parchment.
- Cover with bowl for 20min.
- Divide dough into 4 balls and go to town.
What did I add???? Sauteed garlic, onion, mushrooms and swiss chard in S&P, red pepper flakes and oregano. The next layer was mozzarella, parm and feta and lastly some meatless balls. I felt kind of guilty using a meat sub product but they are so darn tasty! I have cut way back on eating them.
9. Bake in a 450 oven for about 10min or until you have a golden brown crust.
This dough was simply amazing! Nick loved it and he is not a bread person. He has no shame picking off crusts, but he ate most of his dough and that is a lot for calzones!
I also had some carrot fries and ketchup.
Great Meatless Monday meal! I may have to try and make some more lovely bread after tasting how good this was! So fresh and amazing. No bakery can seriously compare to fresh warm bread right out of the oven, and I didn’t understand that until today!
OH WHILE MY BREAD WAS RISING I RAN 5.5 MILES TODAY AND IT FELT AMAZING! I AM SO EXCITED TO MOVE FORWARD WITH MY RUNNING SLLLLOWLY.
OK I am super beat and heading to bed.