Veggie Recipe!Posted: July 7, 2010
I made a new delicious vegetarian dish all on my own tonight!
I usually take someone else’s recipe and work from that, but this came right out of my own head!
- 1/2 large eggplant sliced into 1/8 slices (you may need more, you may need less. It all depends on the size of your dish)
- 1 zucchini sliced very thin on a mandolin, food processor (I am sure small slices would work too, you just want to make sure you can cover the bottom of your dish twice!)
- 2 portabello mushroom caps sliced lengthwise
- 1 can dieced tomatoes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 tbs capers
- bunch of herbs, whatever you have on hand – I used parsley, oregano, rosemary and thyme from my garden
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parm
- Heat a little EVOO in a sauce pan and add onion until clear
- Add garlic
- Add can of tomatoes and paste
- Add capers, S&P to taste and herbs
- This is your sauce – let it simmer on med-low until you are ready to assemble
- Spray the bottom of your dish with EVOO spray
- Layer eggplant along bottom of the dish like fish scales
- Then pour on 1/2 the sauce
- next layer the zucchini with the same method to cover the sauce and eggplant
- Next layer mushrooms point to point across dish.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup parm over dish
- Repeat steps 2-6 with remaining eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms
- Lastly break up the mozzarella cheese and spread it over as the final touch.
- Cover in foil and bake at 375 for 45min
- Remove foil and cook another 15min or until cheese browns.
- Let sit for 10min before cutting
I KNOW it seems like a lot of steps and ingredients but is basically sauce and layered veggies with cheese. You could ever use jar sauce if you want!
I served my bake with 2 pieces of multigrain rustic toast from Trader Joe’s spread with a little real butter!
Next time I may drain the tomatoes, but that is about the only change I would make!