Meatless Monday CurryPosted: January 31, 2011
Do you like curry? I LOVE curry! I however do not like that the first ingredient in most curries is some form of oil. I set out to make a delicious curry with less oil and tons of flavor.
I have had the curry powder in the left for a really long time. In fact I think my mom gave it to me from her spice rack when I moved to Boston. It may be old, but I love its can and the crazy label. I added a little extra flavor with the other spices just to pump it up, but I don’t have all of the curry spices so I just went with it.
MUNG BEAN CURRY – serves 2 maybe 3
- 2 TBSP curry powder – I used a lot and these spices are really to taste for me
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic – pressed
- 1 acorn squash roasted, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
- 3 kale leaves torn into chip size pieces
- 1/2 cup dry mung beans cooked as directed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Roast squash for 20min @400 coated in 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- coat bottom of large pot with other tbsp of coconut oil
- chop onion and cook until clear in the oil ~ 5min
- add garlic, spices and water
- Add kale and steam ~5min
- Add beans and stir together – add more water if needed to coat the spices over the beans and kale
- Lastly add the chopped squash and gently stir into the curry bean mix – try to keep the cubes whole
- Let the whole mix simmer for about 5min to get the flavors throughout adding more water if needed.
This made a lot of dishes but it did not take much time to make because once mung beans are soaked they do not take very long to get soft.
We are supposed to get an ice storm tonight into tomorrow so Sissy and I might be staying put tomorrow. All the more time to enjoy some curry!