Italian Spaghetti Squash and Lentil SoupPosted: October 11, 2011
Finally I am back with an edition of Farmer’s Market Tuesday!
It has been really warm in Maryland lately but we have a lot of rain in forecast and Fall + rain = soup in my book.
I love all squash in the fall and I usually make the spaghetti variety as yep, spaghetti. Tonight I wanted to try something different and man did it work out!
What you will need:
- 1 small to medium spaghetti squash
- 1 large can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups veggie broth (or chicken/beef)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic pressed
- 2 tsp dried thyme or fresh to your taste
- 2 sprigs of rosemary de-stemmed or 1 tbsp dried
- dash of hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 1/2 cup uncooked lentils
- pepper (no salt needed due to tomatoes and veggie broth)
I started by cutting the squash in half lengthwise and roasting it for 45min in the oven. While it was roasting I cooked down the onion and garlic then added everything but the rosemary, thyme and kale. 45min late pull out the squash to cool and add the herbs and kale to the pot to cook for a few min while you pull out the spaghetti.
Now, the squash can be really hot and I don’t like waiting so I usually wear an oven mitt to get things going. Add the squash to the lentils and stir before serving.I seriously have not made something this good since I made butternut chili before the wedding.
I just wish I could have slurped up some of these “spaghetti” noodles!
What is your favorite way to eat spaghetti squash?