Quinoa Pizza CasserolePosted: February 23, 2012
In line with my meal planning I have been scanning Pinterest for some good recipes. I came across this one for quinoa pizza bites and added it to the to make list!
I adjusted the original recipe to go with what I had and not use too many of my precious farm fresh eggs. This is what I came up with and it was pretty darn delicious!
Quinoa Pizza Casserole – serves 4-6
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp italian herbs or your own blend of oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary and marjoram
- 1 tsp dried basil – fresh would be better but we had none on hand
- 1/3 cup hummus – I used a “pizza” hummus that a tried to make earlier in the week, basically just tastes like oregano so I think any hummus would work – I used it as a binder more than a flavoring
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated cheddar/mozzarella/whatever mild cheese ya got
- 1 small can of diced tomatoes – I used more tomatoes from NC
- couple grinds of S&P
- Cook quinoa in 2 cups of water until all of the water is dissolved
- Coat 9×9 baking dish with olive oil and pre-heat oven to 350
- mix all ingredients while the quinoa is cooking
- mix in the quinoa and spot check to make sure everything is evenly mixed
- spread evenly in your dish and bake for 40-45min
- let cool for 5min and then scoop it out to enjoy!
This was super simple because quinoa is such a fast cooking grain! AND it tasted like…wait for it…pizza! Obviously not exactly but the flavors were there.
Along with the casserole I made some garlic knots with leftover empanada/pizza dough and cooked down some mixed dark greens with smoked paprika.
Love garlic knots!
What have you found on Pinterest lately that has inspired you? Do you pin?