Tonight was my first experience with fresh turmeric!
It is similar looking to ginger and packs a punch of flavor as well. Turmeric is used from a dye to a super food in fighting cancer. It is also the principal ingredient in curry powders. I thought I would roll with the curry theme for my dinner tonight.
Curry with Fresh Turmeric
- 1 yellow onion
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp fresh or dried turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup water
- pasta serving of choice
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and de-seed the squash then cut into small pieces.
- Rub with olive oil and place in over for 30min
- chop onion and add it to the olive oil heating on the stove in a large wok or pan
- add crushed garlic to the onions once they are translucent
- cut bell pepper into small pieces and add it to the onion
- once the pepper is soft add the yeast – water and let simmer
- cook pasta to taste
- add the kale when there is 5min left on the squash
- add the squash hot out of the oven and cover everything with the sauce.
- Serve the pasta and top with the curry veggie mix
I’m not sure if I could taste the added turmeric over the curry, but whatever the case this dish was delicious! Curry and squash is a very nice combo. Let me know if you find turmeric near you!
p.s. I am trying to get back to blogging recipes – mainly dinners. Sorry for the lighting, I am just trying to get these amazing flavors out there! Thanks for still reading!
Today I may have made the best dressing ever. It may look like super gross baby something or other, but if you like smoky and lemony flavors, this is for you.
Smoky Avocado Dressing – approximate measurements, coasted 3 servings of quinoa veggie salad
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 TSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 TSP smoked paprika
- 1/2 TSP fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 TSP sea salt
I made this one up this afternoon for Nick and I to have for dinner. I am working late so I can take half and he can re-heat when he gets home. Win-win. Besides the dressing there is quinoa, onion, mushroom, zucchini, tomatoes, and kale. We shall see how it all turns out. I bet it will be amazing coated in all that smoky deliciousness!
What was something amazing that you made recently?