I have gotten back into meal planning. Working for an organic food market can make you go a little crazy with shopping, and I wasn’t really saving any money compared to my pre-discount days.
Tonight I created a millet and amaranth bake with hummus, veggies and chickpeas.
- 1.5 cups cooked millet and amaranth combo – I cooked 1/2 cup amaranth and 1/4 millet in 2 cups of veggie broth
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas – canned or home cooked
- 1/2 cup hummus – flavor of choice. I used roasted red pepper
- 1.5 cups diced and cooked veggies that you have on hand – I used red pepper, garlic, zucchini and some frozen spinach
- sprinkle of herbs on hand – I just used an Italian blend
- S&P to taste
Once all of the elements are cooked mixed everything in a large bowl and place them in an olive oil sprayed pie dish and bake for 20min. Total time is about 50min, which is kind of long for a weeknight, but you could always cook the grains before to cut out some time.
The reason I like this meal during the weak so much is you can mixed and match grain, protein and veggies with whatever you have on hand.
What is your favorite weeknight meal? I think ours is actually enchiladas.